Sunday, September 1, 2013

The Goat Kraal

My fecal collections wrapped up in the Eland and Bellebenno camps a few weeks ago. This means that I am not on cheetah husbandry every day anymore (bummer!) and that I am spending a lot of time working around other areas of CCF like the genetics lab, giving talks to CCF guests attending center feeding and, of course, the goal kraal. The goat kraal at CCF serves as a model farm as to how Namibians can house and manage their livestock herds in a predator safe (that includes cheetahs) and friendly manner. It also serves as a source of revenue for CCF because the dairy goats provide milk for making cheese and ice cream, which are sold at the cafĂ©, and the milk is also used for making soap, which is sold in the gift shop and at a farmer’s market in Otjiwarongo. The kraal is also home to Boer goats (for meat) and several livestock guarding dogs. The kraal can be a very dirty place and after cleaning it up I find I am left with a pseudo-tan, but also a sense of accomplishment. Plus, I love the goats! (Particularly the kids). I can’t get enough baby goat time.


The goats, however, don’t always make the job the easiest of tasks…


but I still love them!


Aside from cleaning the kraal, then interns take turns assisting in the goat milking at 6am and 4:30pm. I don’t actually do any of the milking, but we weigh out the milking rations for each of the goats and assist in moving goats around in the stalls. I’ve learned I’m not very good at pushing goats around, but I try my best!




The dairy goats have quite the personality as well.



Lastly, I can’t forget about the livestock guarding dogs. Though dogs are most certainly not one of my favorite animals, I love anything that is little and we have puppies!! They were born about 2 weeks ago and are just now opening their eyes. They grow incredible fast and are about the most adorable little chunkers you have ever seen! They are most certainly the highlight of any time I am assigned to feed the dogs. 



I get to feed them this afternoon in fact. J

No comments:

Post a Comment